SEEKING AN ENERGETIC MARKET MANAGER FOR A COMMUNITY FOOD PROJECT IN FAWKNER
- Do you believe quality, affordable, culturally appropriate food is a human right?
- Have you got fantastic people skills, project management abilities and can spot the difference between a squash and a zucchini?
- Are you confident operating and promoting a small business? Looking for an entrepreneurial challenge?
If the answer is YES then we’d love to have you at The Community Grocer.
The Community Grocer's mission is to run weekly affordable fresh food markets with a vision for food for healthy connected communities. We run 6 markets across Melbourne, in Carlton, Fitzroy, Fawkner, Fawkner, Mernda & Pakenham. Everyone is welcome, and more than 34,000 customers have purchased our delicious fresh produce since our first market in 2014.
THE COMMUNITY GROCER - MARKET MANAGER
An opportunity is now available for a dynamic community leader to join The Community Grocer team in the role of Market Manager. In an exciting growth opportunity, we are looking for someone to lead a small team, grow the market customer base and oversee all operational duties required to run The Community Grocer Fawkner on Wednesday 8.30 am – 12 pm.
The Market Manager hours on market day will be 7 am – 3 pm for the market, reporting, banking, and deliveries, with an additional 2 hours on Tuesday and self-scheduled for creating signs, price list, volunteer rostering and promotion.
See position description below for a 10 hour per week role.
Reports to: The Community Grocer Operations Manager
External contacts: Casual staff, volunteers, local organisations, suppliers, customers
Location: Merri Health Fawkner @ 79 Jukes Rd, Fawkner
Reporting directly to the Operations Manager, the Market Manager will be responsible for the operational management, community engagement and promotion of the weekly market held in Fawkner.
You will be responsible for all elements of the market operations, including volunteer management, stock and cash control, set-up and pack down, reporting, and supplier relationships. You will also be required to promote the market and recruit volunteers by building and strengthening community partnerships and netowrks.
· Stock ordering and stock control (including quality assurance)
· Weekly market set-up and pack down
· Volunteer recruitment, rostering and management
· Customer service (including site specific retention and growth strategies)
· Engagement with customers and community to increase customer base
· Cash control and reconciliation
· Managing community relationships and creating new ones to increase sales
· Working to agreed budget and key performance indicators
· Completing weekly market logs and other tasks for site specific monitoring and evaluation
· Conflict management
· Participate in awareness raising, community events and brand representation
Knowledge and Skills
· Demonstrated experience in a social enterprise and/or in a fruit and vegetable market/retail environment.
· Proven experience recruiting, managing and supervising diverse teams, staff or volunteers.
· Demonstrated ability to deliver outcomes within set timeframes, with highly developed skills to plan and prioritise, work efficiently and multi-task in a fast-paced environment and to work autonomously and as part of a team.
· Highly developed interpersonal skills, with experience in community consultation and promotional activities with individuals, groups, organisations and businesses to build and maintain partnerships.
· Excellent numeracy and literacy skills, including written and verbal communication skills with the ability to use Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
· Ability to assist with manual handling tasks and commitment to occupational health and safety
· Drivers Licence and access to a vehicle for market day
· Warmth and energy – an ability to oversee a public space and enjoy interactions with a diverse range of individuals. It is your energy that sets the tone for the whole market!
· Flexibility - demonstrated ability to adapt and be responsive in a work environment. A willingness to take on new challenges and adjust plans to meet new priorities. You are working in the elements (open-air markets) and with a perishable product – every market is different!
· Initiative - demonstrated tendency to contribute ideas and initiate new ways of working. This role is very entrepreneurial and autonomous.
· Celebrate Diversity – any given market will have upwards of 15+ nationalities represented. Ability to celebrate the unique differences in our cultural backgrounds and practice patience around language barriers.
· Experience in food security, community development, social work, nutrition or related roles, preferably in Australia or a developed country
· Good understanding of fruit and vegetable varieties, seasonality, handling and storage.
· Experience in public speaking, media and awareness raising activities
The Market Manager will be paid $28 per hour.
Hours are a set at 10 hours per week. The hours for each market include:
- Market set up/ trading/ pack down/ deliveries (7 hours)
- Ordering and volunteer recruitment and rostering time (1 hour)
- Cash sorting, reconciling and reporting time (1 hours)
- Community and partnership development (1 hour)
- Participation in team meetings (as required)
For further information on The Community Grocer refer to our website: www.thecommunitygrocer.com.au
Applications close at 5.00pm 23th September 2018.
Email applications to Leila Alexandra at email@example.com
using the subject line: Fawkner Market Manager application, and must include:
● A cover letter outlining your interest in the role (1 page)
● A one page resume
● Your suitability according to the essential selection criteria, including personal attributes (2 pages)
Contact Leila on 0420 329 320 or email (above)